Blacklist

Hoax: Contact Lenses at Barbeque party

There are many Facebook hoaxes that claim your contact lenses can melt due to cooking outdoors. In many of these hoaxes an image of a girl with a melted contact lens on her eye is presented. The Facebook scam attempts to trick readers into believing that cooking outdoors near an open fire such as a BBQ can cause contact lenses to melt.

This is untrue. The hoax has been around for many years and several different stories are used in circulation. In some cases a 21 year old guy was barbecuing and became blind within seconds courtesy of the contact lenses that he was wearing and in another more current fictitious story, a 21 year old girl was wearing contact lenses at a barbecue party and began to scream. In all cases the story is presented as a warning to readers.

These messages are meant to dupe Facebook users into believing false information. These stories are false. In some cases these stories are utilized by suspicious websites in order to gain website traffic. In some cases a user may be presented with malicious links that can download malware to a computer system or hijack Facebook accounts.

If you see these posts on your Facebook news feed, ignore them. Sharing false information does no one any good!

Example

A 21 year old girl had worn a pair of contact lenses during a barbecue party. (An event or meal at which food is cooked outdoors over an …open grill or fire) While barbecuing he stared at the fire charcoals continuously for 2 – 3 minutes. After a few minutes, She started to scream for help and moved rapidly, jumping up and d…

Example

Those who wear contact lenses, remove them when you have to attend a BBQ party or whatsoever that got to do with flames… I heard a horrible true story about contact lenses…. It happened to a 21 year old guy, he wore a pair of contact lenses during a barbecue party. While, he was barbecuing, he stared at the fire charcoals. After a few seconds, he started to scream for help and moved rapidly, jumping up and down. No one in the party knew why… When he arrived at the Hospital, the doctor said he’ll be blind permanently courtesy of the contact lenses that he had worn. Contact lenses are made by plastics, and the heat from the charcoal melted his contact lenses.

So, tell all your friends…..DO NOT WEAR CONTACT LENSES WHERE OVERHEATING AND FLAMES ARE CONCERNED… pass this message to all your friends

Solution:

If your Facebook account has been affected by this scam please see the recommended steps below.

  • Change your Facebook password (located in your Facebook Settings) and make sure to log out of every device when prompted to.

remove Facebook app

  • Remove suspicious Facebook Apps (Settings > Apps).
  • If you believe your computer is infected with malware we recommend to download and install reputable Anti-Malware software such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Once installed, update the software, and run a scan for malicious files. *This software is available free or as a full version.

Add a comment