SCAM ALERT: Complimentary shopping this Friday at Target
If you have received email spam with subject “Complimentary shopping this Friday at Target” from sender “Target Rewards Program” (or other) delete it immediately. This email message can be harmful to your computer and privacy.
An example of the message is detailed below:
Complimentary shopping this Friday at Target From Target Rewards Program TARGET Clothing | Household | Luxury Beauty Hello! Your latest activity qualifies you to a new promotional gift. Print Your $50 Voucher Only until November 2, 2017. (See Details) b2a5b3784035a497798f43d284e7f9b8
The email message contains links that will direct you to survey-scam websites and websites that might host malware.
Survey-scams phish your personal information
Survey-scams are dangerous because they are used to phish personal information from victims. They utilize deceptive surveys (that usually never end) to obtain information that can help them contact victims.
The information collected by scammers is often sold and shared with numerous parties. Victims may get calls from scam artists, robocallers, fake pharmacies, and more. They may also receive unsolicited mail at home and unwanted email messages.
A victim’s contact information can also be used by scam artists and malware distributors.
How to remove malware from your computer
- Download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Double click the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing the Malwarebytes program.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install the Malwarebytes programs. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Launch Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer for malware.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button when the scan is complete.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.