SCAM ALERT: Thanks for Using Amazon, Your $50-Amazon Award Enclosed
If you have received email spam with subject “Thanks for Using Amazon, Your $50-Amazon Award Enclosed” from sender “Steven Martin” (or other) delete it immediately. This email message can be harmful to your computer and privacy.
An example of the message is detailed below:
Thanks for Using Amazon, Your $50-Amazon Award Enclosed #21739048 From Steven Martin ATTENTION:, Thank you for your recent order on Amazon.com. You're invited to review your product and receive your new $50-bonus. Your feedback helps customers pick the right products on Amazon.com. It's an easy process! You are just one click away to activate your $50 voucher. REVIEW AND PRINT REWARD Tips If the above button doesn't work, you may submit your review and redeem your gift by following these easy steps: 1. Go to your Amazon.com account and navigate to your rewards. 2. In the "My Rewards" section, Press the "Redeem Gift" button. 3. Submit your information and redeem your gift Thank you for shopping on Amazon, we appreciate your feedback. Please note that this gift reward is only valid to one per customer. You must be the account holder that is registered with the email address listed below. You have 10 days to submit your review and redeem your eGift from Amazon.com ( AmazonReward ) Reference #:21739048 This Message was sent to the following e-mail address: b2a5b3784035a497798f43d284e7f9b8
The email message contains links that will direct you to survey-scam websites and websites that might host malware.
Survey-scams phish your personal information
Survey-scams are dangerous because they are used to phish personal information from victims. They utilize deceptive surveys (that usually never end) to obtain information that can help them contact victims.
The information collected by scammers is often sold and shared with numerous parties. Victims may get calls from scam artists, robocallers, fake pharmacies, and more. They may also receive unsolicited mail at home and unwanted email messages.
A victim’s contact information can also be used by scam artists and malware distributors.
How to remove malware from your computer
- Download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Double click the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing the Malwarebytes program.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install the Malwarebytes programs. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Launch Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer for malware.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button when the scan is complete.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.