Your invoice for eBay purchases (Email Scam)
Your invoice for eBay purchases
If you have received email spam with subject “Your invoice for eBay purchases” from sender “eBay” (or other) delete it immediately. This email message is not actually sent from eBay and can be harmful to your computer and privacy.
Although some of the links in the email are legitimate and will direct you to ebay.com, other links in the email message will direct you to malicious websites that host malware. If you visit the malicious websites malware will automatically download, install, and spread across your machine. For example, if you click the download link or Pay Now button you will be directed to a website that will download malware onto your machine. The malicious website is currently blocked by Google Chrome browser; However, new links can be used in the future that Google Chrome has not caught yet.
An example of the fake eBay message is detailed below:
Your invoice for eBay purchases (005395351429163634#) From eBay Please note that this is a system generated email. Please do not reply to this email. If you have questions, please click the following link or paste it in your browser.http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-support.html eBay eBay sent this message to ([Name Withheld]). Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more. Invoice Dear [Name Withheld], Thank you for shopping on eBay! Your total amount due is USD $28.55. Download and pay your invoice 005395351429163634. Email reference id: [#d5c01a829d367db511c4bdeceb96f0db#] Learn More to protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails. eBay sent this email to you at [Name Withheld] about your account registered on www.ebay.com. eBay will periodically send you required emails about the site and your transactions. Visit our Privacy Notice and User Agreement if you have any questions. Copyright © 2015 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay International AG is located at Helvetiastrasse 15/17 - P.O. Box 133, 3000 Bern 6,Switzerland.
How to remove malware from your computer
- Download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Double click the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing the Malwarebytes program.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install the Malwarebytes programs. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Launch Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer for malware.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button when the scan is complete.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.